Thursday, October 11, 2012

Good-bye, Glacier


 He was my very first cat, my first pet in my adult life.  14 years ago,  I pulled him out from under a deck in Calgary, an adorable six week old kitten.




He saw some dramatic changes in his life; from just the two of us in a condo in the big city to living with this zoo.  He accepted every change, every newcomer with grace, ease and without ever peeing on my stuff!




He was not the brightest cat I've ever met; he could get lost in the living room!  But he was among the sweetest cats I've ever known, full of drooly purrs, head bonks, and love.


 


Until five days ago, he'd never been sick a moment in his life, never been to the vet for anything beyond routine care.  Over the Thanksgiving weekend, he became increasingly lethargic, just not his usual mewing purring self. 


 


He has spent the last three days at the vet clinic where a large tumour was found on his pancreas, his kidneys were failing and his blood sugar was dangerously low.  Despite the best efforts of his vet, he did not respond to treatment; he was miserable and we were out of options.




He was released from his failing body tonight, the last and only thing I could do for him.  He leaves behind fourteen years of memories, a huge hole in my heart and a very lost best friend.  Pete will mourn the loss of his lifelong friend as deeply as I will. 




Glacier


July 21, 1998 - October 11, 2012


 


From begining to end, he was a good cat!


 




3 comments:

bea's blog said...

So sorry for your loss....
he was such a beauty....

If you want to cross a river
you have to leave one side.
M. Ghandi
~.♥.~
Beatrice

Malinda J. said...

So sad. My heart aches for you and your family.

36 Claws of Attitude said...

What a beautiful loving boy. So sorry to hear of your loss. It's always hard to let go.