Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Deuce update

At my mother's request--an update on Deuce and his injuries. Deuce came home on Friday evening, still on three legs. He would not weight bear at all. He has two major wounds in his left rear leg, on up on the thigh portion and a huge tear down by his ankle. There are drains in both wounds. I HATE THOSE THINGS!! There simply has to be a better way to prevent abcesses! Deuce was thrilled to get out of the clinic and even on three legs he can really pull on a leash!

All weekend Deuce refused to let me clean his drains. They are supposed to be flushed at least once a day, but he was having none of that. I didn't want to push him too far, so on Monday he came back to town with me and spent the day at the vet clinic. They cleaned the drains and got him all flushed out. Dr. Rick Brown, our amazing vet, said the wounds actually look really good. No sign of infection. The rotten drains have to stay in until Thursday. The stitches have to stay in for about 20 days instead of the usual 10-14. Due to their location, there is a lot of extra tension on them and fully healing will take some extra time. It might help if Deuce would stay still, but his energy levels are returning very quickly! He's weighbearing again and even trying to jump up a bit.

He has a big cone collar on which he uses to bruise my legs pretty regularly. There has to be a better way to keep them from chewing too! That cone collar is almost as bad as the drains! I'll try to get some pictures of him looking pathetic tonight.

Other than not wanting the drains touched (& who can blame him for that), Deuce is a good little patient. Much better less whiny than most people I know!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Thanks for the update. You can't leave us hanging there wondering what has happened to one of your critters.

Meg said...

I, too, was wondering how sweet Deuce was doing.

As for the cone collar...I HATE those things and so do my dogs, because as big as they are (great danes), that collar has to be half the size of a normal room.

I roll up into a flat "collar" a large beach towel or other large heavyduty thing and then duct tape it around their necks. It keeps there heads up and they can't bend them down to lick and chew on things. This may or may not work, depending on where the injury is.

Good luck!